5 large yellow tomatoes peeled
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Juice of one lime
2 cloves fresh garlic chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper flakes
- Bring a large stock pot filled halfway with water to a boil.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- Remove any stickers and then wash the tomatoes.
- Remove the stem and core with a paring knife.
- Drop the tomatoes a few at a time into the boiling water.
- Remove them after 30 seconds or when the skin begins to peel. Then gently drop them into the bowl of ice water.
- Allow the tomatoes to sit in the ice bath for 3 or 4 minutes until chilled
- The tomatoes will still be very firm, with the skin wrinkled and coming off the flesh. Gently rub off the tomato skin with your hands. Remove any stubborn pieces with a paring knife
Making the Salsa
In a medium stock pot combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stir continuously.
Reduce heat, and simmer gently. Stir frequently so the tomatoes do not burn. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are very soft, starting to fall apart.
Use an immersion hand blender and puree the salsa until it is smooth.
- Chill and then serve with fresh cilantro and crushed red peppers to taste on top.
Keywords: homemade salsa recipe