These healthy Sweet ‘n Sour Collards have a hint of maple sweetness and a punch of apple cider vinegar sourness that makes this recipe a yummy vegan way to enjoy fresh collard greens.
7 ounces fresh collard greens
2 tables spoons coconut oil
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
2 tablespoons of Blend 11 seed and nut mix (optional)
- Using a sharp knife trim the large vein of the stem off of the leaf. Discard stems.
- Rince leaves under cold water and then stack them with large leaves on the bottom.
- Tightly roll the stack of leaves lengthwise, like a cigar. Slice crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Place the coconut oil in a medium size pot, heat over medium heat. Add onion and saute until slightly tender.
- Add collards and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, maple syrup, vinegar, and salt. Cover pot and turn heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm, top with Blend 11 nut and seed blend mix.