Asian Noodles Lao Gan Ma is absolutely the best Asian noodle recipe I have ever tried, better than takeout or even some fancy restaurant. The dish has layers of sweet spicy flavors that develop a sauce you will be willing to lick the pan for.
A friend was home from the mission field for a few months and we were discussing how she would like to learn some better cooking skills before she goes back. Several of us agreed to get together and show her some ideas of dishes she could make with the products she could get in her area.
She suggested I look at The Wok Of Life to get some ideas for recipes and did I ever! The site is full of recipes I plan on trying but for our cooking demonstration, I settled on Lao Gan Ma Noodles & The Godmother of the Godmother Sauces. My eyes have been opened to a whole new line of products that create the most uniquely delicious flavors.
The Secret Sauce
They shared with me how this little gem, Laoganma (Lao Gan Ma) Spicy Chili Crisp can transform a dish’s flavor profile. Ok, folks, this stuff is life changing when it comes to flavor for your Asian recipes. I love discovering new products that become a staple in my house, and this Spicy Chili Crisp is it.
Don’t let the grumpy lady on the front fool you. Lan Gan Ma translates to godmother and she does have an interesting story. The Wok Of Life tells us “the Godmother is actually a real person––a widow who never finished school and can’t read. But her sauces helped raise her two boys, and she built a world-famous brand in just twenty years’ time! As a businesswoman in a former life, I understand hard work, but going from a small village in China to building a global brand boggles my mind. Her secret is the focus on the quality and integrity of products, and she proudly claims that her sauces are available wherever you find Chinese people!”
For this Asian noodles recipe, I did a little tweaking to the add-in ingredients such as cashews for peanuts. If you prefer to change up a few add-ins it will not change the flavor much, the secret is in the combination of the ingredients in the sauce, keep that as it is in the recipe for best flavor.
Be sure and try my Asian style Garlic Noodles with Edamame are full of good for you nutrition and are easy to make in less than 20 minutes. You’re going to want these over and over.
Asian Noodles Lao Gan Ma is absolutely the best Asian noodle recipe I have ever tried, better than takeout or even some fancy restaurant. The dish has layers of sweet spicy flavors that develop a sauce that you will be willing to lick the pan for.
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ tablespoons of Laoganma (Lao Gan Ma) Spicy Chili Crisp or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 200 grams dried rice noodles
- 2 cups largely chopped bok choy
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Toast sesame seeds in a 350-degree oven for 4 to 6 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Next, prepare the sauce in a large bowl by mixing together the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Chinese black vinegar, scallion, ginger, garlic, Laoganma (Lao Gan Ma) Spicy Chili Crisp , sesame oil, and toasted sesame seeds.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan using medium heat, and fry the peanuts for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring every minute or so until cooked through. Drizzle the hot oil and cashews into the sauce base.
- Soak and then boil the rice noodles per package instructions. Once the rice noodles are a minute away from done, add in the bok choy to blanch. Cook for the remaining minute, and then drain the noodles. Pour the sauce base over the noodles, stir to combine, and top with chopped cilantro.
Affiliate links in post – thank you for your support keeping this blog going